Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Japanese philosophy
Re: but master........ [message #8251 is a reply to message #8238] Sat, 12 June 2004 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Hi Terry,

On a similar but unrelated subject, I have a few thoughts about speaker drivers. That's something near and dear to your heart, I think.

If I remember correctly, you use Fostex drivers in your speaker systems, maybe Lowthers too. They're a couple of favorites for single driver enthusiasts. Personally, I really like the sound of the Fostex speakers I've heard.

I wonder what you'd think about having Eminence make a high-quality part tuned to work in your cabinets. Something with electro-mechanical specs suitable for your cabinets and a low-distortion symmetrical flux stabilized magnetic structure. Eminence makes drivers having various cone shapes and materials, so you have a good choice there as well. I'm not talking about a budget model here - I'm talking about a statement product. If you could have Eminence pull out all the stops for a high-end full-range driver, would you give it a go?

I ask this because I can't help but think it's viable. They have a lot of experience and they are capable of doing some really high-quality work. Ever since they started making speakers with shorting rings, they've become a top-quality player, in my opinion.

Another thing that makes me think about it is the JBL 2115. It was a wonderful little 8" full-range driver that was capable of great sound from 30Hz all the way up to 10kHz. All you really needed was a super tweeter and you had the basis for an excellent little speaker system. I used them in high-quality one π loudspeakers in the 1980's. They were 93dB/W/M and handled 50 watts, so they were suitable for studio monitors. Not real high output, but very good sound.

It occurs to me that the Fostex F-220A speaker is almost exactly the same thing as the JBL 2115. They look so much the same, I can't tell them apart from the front. And the specs are very similar too. The thing is that I'd love to have a similar part made by Eminence, and I think they're capable of it. I've also considered having something made that's tuned like the Alpha 10 but with a symmetrical flux stabilized motor, so that's another thing on my wish list. I'd love to have one or two specific high-quality full-range 8" and 10" speakers. I'm guessing you'd probably add a 6" driver or two to that list.

So I'm just thinking aloud here. What do you think?

Wayne

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message