Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Japanese philosophy
Re: Japanese philosophy [message #8245 is a reply to message #8243] Fri, 11 June 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
If I understand you right, I think you describe a holistic approach to sound and that's what you're calling a Japanese philosophy. This in contrast to a reductionistic approach that is more analytical. Seems like the best understandings of a subject are those that can be described equally well whether viewed reductionistically or holistically. Like drawing a waveform as a whole or as a series of sines, and both being equally accurate. Each view is better suited for certain things.

I think being lop-sided either way leaves a blind spot. To be so rigid as to care only about the technical description of an item leaves the feel of the item unrealized. I can have the entire CAD layout of an airplane and build it perfectly and still not have the exhillaration of first flight if I never get in and fly it. On the other hand, I can fly a thousand planes and know them like the back of my hand, yet if I am unfamiliar with mathematics and physics and I design one, then my first flight in that plane might very well be my last. So both approaches are valid, and to stubbornly see only one side leaves a desperately blind spot.

I think Eric has had experience with those that chase the subjective view with an almost manic fervor, throwing all objectivity to the wind. That's what I thought he was driving at. Certainly, it can go too far the other way too. That's what I think you were driving at, and it looks like Terry's position too.

Nice thing is that we're just talking about stereo systems here. I'm glad to have some really good sounding gear, and to be able to relax and enjoy it. I'm also glad that we can all talk about them and tinker with them and make 'em even better. Just like nice cars. I like making nice things because I get a lot of joy when they work well.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message