Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Japanese philosophy
Re: Japanese philosophy [message #8242 is a reply to message #8241] Fri, 11 June 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I could not agree more, I personally cannot claim to own anything from japan except my TV. I drive a Buick Roadmaster and all my equipment is either American or British. What I mean to point out is that the Japanese have an approach and philosophy towards our hobby that serves the music more faithfully; that is why they bought up all the old American tube equipment and speakers and now you can find a mint Fisher 80z easily in Japan while they are scarce as hens teeth here. My post was not meant to be a love letter to the Japanese only to reflect on their approach and how that statement of Mr. Barbours illuminated the debate over equipment choice and progress.

As for exotic, all those amps they build were originally designed right here in the good old U.S. of A. Unless we adopt new approaches and outlooks we stand to become mired in the same old same old. Look on the personal websites of many Japanese audiophiles; horn loaded and push-pull. And what speakers are cherished over there? JBL, ALTEC, probably PI.

My alliances are here with the people I know and know me but it doesn't do to place your head in the sand and ignore what others around the world are exploring in this pursuit, thats the short path to stagnation. The point of any hobby I think is to become deeply involved and knowledge is universal. The difference seems to lie in the approach and that is what is intriqueing.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message