Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #64013 is a reply to message #64009] Wed, 08 September 2010 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
morphlaugh is currently offline  morphlaugh
Esquire
Wayne,

I think timbre matching the surrounds is quite important. Although I agree that most movies simply use the surrounds for ambiance, there are some movies where for example, a ship will fly overhead and it'll come from the surrounds and fly to the LCR's when coming onscreen.

I've just found this website and am still trying to find all of the data I can from these forums about the 2pi and 4pi loudspeakers you've designed. I'm thinking of doing what Big has done here and build myself three 4pi for the LCRs of my work-in-progress theater, but two things are holding me back:

1) I am afraid of trying to timbre match to the surrounds. I don't have horn surrounds, and horns definitely add a fair bit of presence to a speaker, in my experience. What I have now are some ported tweet-mids for my surrounds, and I am worried I won't be able to properly adjust my surrounds into the mix. You suggested the 2pi's... what are they? Are they a horn/ported woofer configuration?

2) I haven't had the pleasure of listening to the 4pi's yet... I have just been reading the glowing reviews of how great they sound. Do you ever take them on the road, and more specifically, to Colorado? Wink

Could I get a copy of the 2pi and 4pi designs/specs? I'd love to look em over and see what's involved and what trade-offs I'd be making if I selected the cheaper or more expensive components.

Thanks!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message