Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63944 is a reply to message #63939] Sun, 29 August 2010 21:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Nice report! Your speakers look great and it sounds like they're sounding good too. Very good, must've wired 'em all up correctly.

Thanks for all the photos, by the way, I think they're interesting and very helpful for future builders reading this thread.

BigmouthinDC wrote on Sun, 29 August 2010 17:04
First report. I turned on some Satellite Smooth Jazz and set my Receiver to stereo. When sitting in the masters chair, 3 times I had to get up and put my ear to the center channel because that was were most of the sound was located but of course it was turned off. These things would be phenomenal for anyone needing to run a phantom center channel.

That's how I run mine, left and right axes crossed in front of the listeners, phantom center. I use two π speakers for surrounds.

BigmouthinDC wrote on Sun, 29 August 2010 19:20
It seemed like dampening the horn would be a good idea or at least couldn't hurt.

I don't damp mine with the caulk, although I have tried it. Bill Epstein, a good friend of mine, recommended it at one time but I personally could not hear or measure any difference. These H290's have a thick body and are dead to the tap. I will say I found it to be helpful on other horns with thinner bodies. I've even had some horns that rang like a bell, at a frequency in the passband. Yikes! But the H290 just isn't like that.

screwed the crossovers in on a 1/8 inch rubber pad.

Very good, nice touch. I think it is potentially important to put gaskets under the crossovers, to prevent them from buzzing. I mean, I've tried lots of mounting configurations from mounting on standoffs to wired in line (hanging) to mounting directly to the panel inside. I like this last approach best, because it is sturdy and rigid. The gasket makes sure the board doesn't buzz. I use silicon to tack down the components on the board as well.

Then the recommended insulation on the bottom, back, a cross section at the brace and the side by the port

Excellent. I noticed you didn't forget the cross-section piece, which is very important to ensure smooth midrange.

All-in-all, your speakers look like they are very well built and should give years (decades) of good sound.

Please report back when you've watched a few movies and also when you've lived with them a while, to let us know how you're liking them as time passes.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message