Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread [message #63901 is a reply to message #63900] Sat, 21 August 2010 21:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
BigmouthinDC is currently offline  BigmouthinDC
Baron
Nichol1997 wrote on Sat, 21 August 2010 18:25

The recessed portion for the horns look perfect. Did you take the time to make a template for the router?

Thanks Nick, I know I talked about it but I tried cutting the cutout for the horn with a jig saw and I had pretty good luck. If I was setting up to crank out the cabinets on a volume basis I would have a template for sure.

So here is what I did. I started with a two piece front baffle. 3/4 and 1/2.

I cut the horn and port cuts with a jig saw with the two pieces separate. I cleaned up the cuts with a file and sandpaper. I also used two different blades one blade that had a much longer profile and a blade intended for tight radius cuts for just the horn corners on the 1/2. I first cut the two top cut-outs in the 1/2 then I screwed the two pieces together from the back. I then marked where the holes were on the 3/4 and drilled the 1/8 center pivot hole for the woofer through both layers.

I took the two layers apart and finished all the holes with the jig and router. Then I put the two layers back together using green glue between the layers. I used the previous screw holes to align the two layers.

The one last step was to take a little more out of the woofer recess and I used a dado guided clean-out bit to make quick work of that. (Woodline)

I made the outer 1/2 inch layer over-sized 1/8 inch all around so that I had some margin for error and after assembly I trimmed it off with a flush cut bit (Just like you showed me!)

The one thing I would do differently would be to intentionally undercut the port hole in the outer 1/2 baffle and then finish it off once the port was glued in behind it. That would make the area where they are joined a little cleaner and you could work a little faster if you just need a rough cut.

Ordering the Crossover parts from PE was a bit of a challenge.

The superior cap was on back-order and I took the last 8 (of the 9 I needed) of another. They also ommitted slipping the dummy load resister in the box. So it took a 20 minute phone call and I should have everything I need when I get home next week. I am using your design for the hook-ups.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message