Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Guitar Style
Re: Guitar Style [message #63807 is a reply to message #62571] Tue, 10 August 2010 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm not sure what you are asking, but here is a simple breakdown of guitars that sound different:

All this depends on the wood used on the body and the fretboard. With the fingerboard Rosewood and Ebony sound dark and maple sounds brighter.

Single coil (fender) - Thin, tinny, metallic sounding (this can be altered)

Humbucker (gibson) - fatter, more resonant and natural sound

Super-Strat - combines the features of both, popularized by Van Halen. Usually uses the wood choices of gibson, the look of a strat and includes both a humbucker and two single coil pickups. There are other config. But this description shows you what they are trying to acheive. They make them with light wood and dual humbuckers too.

7-String - Usually uses the heavier wood (like Basswood) and gets an octave lower.

Baritone - These guitars use a very long scale neck and much thicker strings. They are uncommon in my experience.

Semi-acoustic/hollow-body - A guitar that is part solid and part hollow, with pickups. I like this type of sound. Ted Nugent and Alex Lifeson use these regularly.

Nylon - Uses nylon strings. No finger buzz from the strings. Have a flatter sound. need piezo-electric transducers/pickups.

Steel guitars - use regular metal wound strings, typically on the bottom four strings. sound bright and metallic, but tone rich and thick too.

that is the basics. There are different types of acoustics with different tones based on the body shape and size. The Dreadaught is the bigger one that is common. In my opinion that is just to put the instruments in different aural spaces for recording and to make them use use different over and under tones when heard.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: How Much Volume Do Drivers Occupy?
Next Topic: Programs Like Audacity?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 17:31:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout