Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi - like (100% JBL based)
Hornsubs verses direct radiators [message #62510 is a reply to message #62505] Wed, 05 May 2010 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love horns, as you may know. And I think basshorns are some of the most challenging and exciting to build. The problem is, they have to be large to be good. That makes them difficult to use in a home hifi environment. Maybe in a batchelor pad or man cave. But when you can't have an absolutely huge box (at least 20ft3), I'd prefer bass-reflex boxes. In my opinion, a good direct radiator is better than a compromised hornsub, especially when you run them in a multisub arrangement.

All the physically small hornsubs I've seen come in two varieties: compromised efficiency or compromised response. Most of them have horribly peaky response, like 10dB peaks and valleys. I've seen a lot of hornsubs like that, popular because they're small and easy to build. But the response is terrible. Others use a horn/pipe approach, more a transmission line than a horn. That's fine, better than peaky response, in my opinion, but it comes with lower efficiency. They're pretty much the same as a bass-reflex box in terms of performance, but larger and more complex. I'd personally rather have a nice simple Helmholtz resonator.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 3Pi at AKFest in Detroit area this weekend
Next Topic: 2PI tower