Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 3Pi at AKFest in Detroit area this weekend
Re: 3Pi at AKFest in Detroit area this weekend [message #62437 is a reply to message #62435] Thu, 29 April 2010 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
krikor is currently offline  krikor
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 29 April 2010 11:29

Good to know, thanks for the mention here. What driver options are in your speakers?

They are factory-built boxes (at least that's what the seller said and they appear to be well made) around 5 or more years old. Woofers are the original Eminence Delta 12LF.

I've recently updated the tweeter to the DE250 along with the latest xover design using Dayton caps, Janzen 18gauge inductors, Mills resistors in the signal path (still using Dayton resistors in parallel with the tweeter), and the zobel network. Still using the stock H290 horn, though I've added some rope caulk on the back side.

Gotta say, I was happy after doing the tweeter/xover upgrade, but not blown away compared to the original design with the Eminence PSD2002 and PXB2-based xover. Improvements, yes, but not astounding. And I was getting a troubling thickness/forwardness on male vocals that gave them a slight raspy quality that stood out from the rest of the presentation.

Then somewhere in the 50-100 hr. range everything came together. It was like a switch was thrown. I've never put that much stock in "burn in" periods, but either that's what happened or I adjusted to the sound, because everything suddenly smoothed out and became much more coherent.

In fact, I'e been enjoying them so much I drove 1.5 hours each way last Sunday to buy a pair of JBL 2226 drivers (got a great deal on them). The 3Pi are soon to become a top-notch pair of 4Pi speakers in my (hopefully) near future.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 4Pi Plans
Next Topic: 4pi - like