Home » Audio » Home Theater » Roku (Streaming video from internet to TV)
Roku [message #61708] Mon, 11 January 2010 11:13 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've never really liked streaming video from the internet because it's so blotchy. But with all the communications companies pushing towards IP-everything, there have been some pretty good advances that make it at least tolerable, if not decent. In fact, video quality can be quite good, in some cases, and with the right connection, you can enjoy dropout-free video. That's a big deal to me, because one dropout seems to ruin the show. Picky maybe, but I just hate digital dropouts.

Anyway, I've setup my PC to stream video to the main TV on more than one occasion. Personally, I can wait for the Netflix disk to arrive, but sometimes Melissa can't. When she gets a certain series in her head, she'll watch them back to back and when a season is over, we have withdrawl symptoms on our hands. It's not pretty. Laughing

OK, yeah, I'm guilty of that too.

So we've decided to get a Roku box. It's capable of connecting to the WiFi and streaming video out through composite, component or HDMI outputs to a TV. There is even a model available that can pass through HD resolution streams. So this will keep me from having to donate my laptop as a video server. I'll let you know what I think of it, once I've installed and used it for a while.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message icon14.gif
Read Message
Previous Topic: Blu-ray home theater, is it worth it?
Next Topic: Suggestions for new system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 09:48:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout