Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? (4 Pi VS 7 Pi )
Cornerhorns and constant directivity [message #61729 is a reply to message #61728] Fri, 15 January 2010 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You're about right. I wouldn't expect much directivity control below 500Hz in freespace. The corners set the pattern for a couple octaves below that. In my opinion, this is the biggest benefit from corner placement: It gives the loudspeaker designer the opportunity to create a pattern having constant directivity all the way down to the Schroeder frequency.

On a related aside, I love good horn loaded loudspeakers and have always built them. But it cracks me up to watch people talk about cornerhorns and focus on the acoustic loading of a truncated basshorn. To me, that is trivial compared to the possibility of constant directivity. To build a loudspeaker designed to be placed in a corner and fail to incorporate constant directivity horns or waveguides is a huge mistake. The biggest benefit of a cornerhorn is how it directs the sound field above the Schroeder frequency, not below it. A good cornerhorn is probably the only configuration I know of that can provide constant directivity all the way down to the Schroeder frequency, approximately 100Hz or so.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message