Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? (4 Pi VS 7 Pi )
Re: 4 Pi and 7 Pi bass response- More similar or different? [message #61571 is a reply to message #61569] Thu, 17 December 2009 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

tom-m wrote on Thu, 17 December 2009 18:32
I may be building one of these soon. In your description of the midrange, what do "SET" and "FET" mean?

SET is an abbreviation for single ended triode. FET is field effect transistor. I was trying to describe the difference as being like a high quality Class A tube amp compared with a high quality Class A solid state amp.

Psychoacoustic wrote on Thu, 17 December 2009 19:16
I'd also like some descriptive clarification on the difference between FET and SET. Detailed versus smooth?

Both are detailed, both sound very accurate. But I'd say the 2226 midrange is more towards the analytical, and the midhorn is more, well since I can't say "smooth" (both are smooth), so how 'bout "creamy". http://www.audioroundtable.com/emoticons/uhh.gif Maybe creamy-dreamy.

The midhorn isn't what I'd call laid back, nor is it forward. It's pretty neutral sounding. I dunno. Neither really add anything or take anything away and both can be played very soft and delicate or they can be run full tilt, balls out, louder than hell. They're both very detailed and accurate even when you put the power to them.

Psychoacoustic wrote on Thu, 17 December 2009 19:16
I already have 7 Pi crossovers from you. All I would have to do is get the Delta 10s and build the cabs. I'm running a valve amp for the mains. A SS amp drives two 3 Pi subwoofers. Really satisfied with the 4 Pi bass response, but am curious what midwoofers would do for mids.

Well, that's perfect. My setup is very much like that, Class A FET for the subs and Class A triode for the mains. I have four π's in my living room and seven π's in my office. Both have JBL 2226 woofers and DE250 tweeters. So I get to enjoy both often, daily, for several hours.

To me, they're both great. The big advantage of the seven π is its magic imaging, but you can get a lot of that with four π's if you set them up properly. Still, the reverberent field is perfect with the sevens, all the way through the audio range, even in the important midrange. So there isn't a bad seat in the house when you run sevens. Not that the fours lack anything in seat to seat coverage, but no DI-matched (waveguide) two-way speaker is CD through the midrange. The π cornerhorn is the only configuration I know of that delivers constant directivity through the whole audio range from the Schroeder frequency up. The downside is they need a specific room layout to use them properly. If you have the right room, they can't be beat. But if not, I'd rather have four π speakers than improperly placed sevens.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message