Home » Audio » Speaker » help spend my money on an array project
Tangent.... [message #61291 is a reply to message #61275] Sat, 31 October 2009 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
JTW,

Lets assume that you move on to finding some professional builder to put this together for you, to spend your money for you.

But back to us who would never hire an independent builder because we accurately or fallaciously believe that we can always do it better ourselves for less money(I had a friend one time, best man at my wedding, who married an heiress, and fell into the trap that since he had all the money he could ever want that hiring someone would be easier and better than doing things himself---sometimes true, sometimes not.)

I'm wondering about the Accuton C-79's? Is there any place where an independent evaluation of these speakers has been made? They are essentially three inch domes made of ceramic, and from the data provided by them it seems that they have a quite a bit of ringing problem, and don't go lower than 400hz. I wonder if one might be better off with using Dayton RS-52. In a line array you could cross them at 450 and cut their flanges to cross pretty high.
They have an exceptionally flat frequency response, very very low distortion, and very little ringing at all.

Additionally, while there has been plenty of discussion here about the benefits of the fountek 2.0's by people who listen to them and certain people's preferences for them, I still wonder if using them when you have to cross below 4Khz where their performance drops, it might be preferable to use Bohlender Graebener Neo3 PDR's which are almost half the price, and have way better specs.

Additionally in using either the Accuton's or the RS52's, you will need a 4-way to make it viable. You need an array to cover the range from about 60hz to 500hz, with a set of stereo subwoofers covering the range of 16-60 or so. I'd go with the RSS210's, but if you can deal with a dropping frequency response below 80hz a line array of Visaton AL200's has a better distortion figure.

My problem is believing the data reports of manufacturers. I need some kind of independent testing to verify what they say. All manufacturers, whether of raw speakers or of completed speakers, tend to gloss over their deficiencies, and stress their strengths. Its part of marketing. So one of the benefits of being a DIYer is that you can sift through the marketing and find speakers that are the best, and the best is not always the highest price.

Marlboro

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message