Home » Audio » Speaker » help spend my money on an array project
A WOOFER ARRAY? [message #61283 is a reply to message #61278] Fri, 30 October 2009 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Money...!!

I was constrained in my design primarily by money. I couldn't spend more than $1500 total including all amplification, electronic crossovers, all speakers and all materials. My labor was free. I had one amp to start and two 12 inch 15 xmax poly prop woofers that currently list for $139 each. I had to buy everything else.

I bought each speaker first in one and listened critically to the extent that a then set of 54 year old ears can do. I spent a lot of time on ebay looking for the right amps and trying and sometimes failing to get what I wanted. I read every piece of information that I could find that pertained to any design part of the system, and then I put it all together on paper first. And then I started building.

It took me nearly 18 months to design, 4 months to buy the amps and crossovers on ebay, and an additional 6 months of spare time to build the system. From its inception to siting and listening it took more than two years.

But your material look like a splitting of hairs that I simply couldn't do. It looks like it should be TAKE ON ALL COMERS no matter what.

I wonder if you are doing this, and money is not an issue, that you don't make it a 4 way and include a line woofers to handle the 40-200hz range. I've been thinking of doing that myself to handle the 40-155 range which is currently handled by my dual 12 inch woofers. I would then use my 12 inchers for only very low bass and explosions in the range from 16-40. They would be true stereo subs.

Marlboro

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message