Home » Audio » Speaker » Horn Loaded woofers vs Line array woofers Question
Re: Horn Loaded woofers vs Line array woofers Question [message #61212 is a reply to message #61205] Sun, 18 October 2009 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've been having some discussions with some of the people on the Bill Fitzmaurice horn loaded forum. Except for the people who complained that my system shouldn't be crossing at 165 for the sub woofers and that its too bad that I did that because I probably don't have a quality system because of that, I got some good answers.

As an aside, I get kind of perturbed with people who don't seem to understand that I don't have subs, I have regular stereo woofers from before the sub movement, and that subs for me are items that have an upper crossover at a maximum of 35. if I needed a sub, I'd keep the 2.5 cu ft woofer box size, and put in a sub that crosses at 35, and uses a high xmax FIFTEEN INCHER IN THE CORNER SOMEWHERE, WITH THE HUGE BOX MOSTLY BELOW THE FLOOR IN THE BASEMENT OR OUTSIDE.

Anyways, the final discussion was that there was only a QUALIFIED MAYBE as to where I could actually hear a change in distortion level and dynamic range by switching to a horn loaded woofer from my present system. But there was potential agreement that if I added two more Gold sound woofers per channel($600 more in cost, in a box that was 9 cu foot big) or an array in the mid bass area, as a line array, I would hear a seriously different level of undistorted bass, and that it would be obvious.

So there you go. With a Bass Array, the distortion level would fall through the floor, and the dynamic range and SPL would boost dramatically, and it would be obvious, if I had a three 12 inch woofer per channel line array(or a mid bass array and a real subwoofer system). This would not necessarily be the case(maybe) if I used just one horn loaded 12 incher per side.

I'll stick with my original plan:

Put in a mid bass array for 40 to 165hz with normal roll off below it, and a dual 12 inch REAL sub woofer up to 40 in the corner somewhere with a box that is probably one of the unusal formulations that use two woofers and an equalizer to get those notes between 16 and 40 only. Rod Elliot or Linkwitz has a plan for one of those(I can't remember which).

Marlboro

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Horn Loaded woofers