Home » Audio » Speaker » Tweeter Options for Line Arrays
Tweeter Options for Line Arrays [message #60969] Mon, 21 September 2009 19:52 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Rick, I noticed you've designed line arrays using Fountek ribbons, BG Neo 8's, and Dayton PT2's. Each seems to have its own set of advantages and disadvangages:

Zaph's distortion results have convinced many people that the Fountek NeoCd2 isn't a viable choice. However, reviewers almost universally rave about their sound, and they seem to be the only choice for a speaker whose woofer array will be more sensitive than 95dB. Also, they can be used with a 6.5" woofer array, which negates the need for a subwoofer.

The Neo 8's relatively low sensitivity, limited dispersion, and lack of upper octave output seem to be a great disadvantage, but they can be crossed very low, and every year when I hear them in line arrays at RMAF they sound very impressive.

The PT2 is the least expensive, and if it's really a Silver Flute YAG-20 with the Dayton brand on it, its distotion tests aren't good. However, when I heard them in a line array they sounded about as good as a comparably priced dome, and they are the only ribbon/planar tweeter choice for an array that can be built for under $1.5K.

So there's lots of confusion about these tweeters out there. Since you're the only person I know who has actually heard them in a line array application I was wondering how you would compare their sound in your designs.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Why would I not?
Next Topic: Bose Line Array
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 12:20:28 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio