Home » Audio » Speaker » Consider Using Tube Enclosures for your Speakers......
Re: Consider Using Tube Enclosures for your Speakers...... [message #60931 is a reply to message #60930] Sun, 20 September 2009 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Marlboro
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Exactly.... there is no way that any manufacturer could put together a line array using tubes, unless they were willing to charge many many thousands of dollars for it. Confused

This is a technique limited to the DIY speaker builder. It took months of weekends to cut all the slots and the holes.

And there is the visual element. Some people would like the stunning visual sort of modern look, and others would find that their wives and decorators would not accept it in their 'decor'. For those who don't like it you would need to put some kind of 1/4 inch wood veneer on the sides to match sensibilities.

I used 4 inch pvc pipe. The closing in the back was easy since these pipe have PVC en-caps that can be glued using PVC cement, which makes them essential to the pipe itself. Once you use the glue the pipe never comes apart again.

In the front I drilled a circular slot that the pipe fit into, in the oak baffle in the back. I then glued the pipe into the slot using Epoxy. On the outside of the slot, I sealed the edge with a bead of heavy duty liquid nails construction cement, and then painted the tubes and the back of the baffle black. The circle slot was wider that the hole that was cut in the front for the 3 inch speakers. That hole has to be champhered to allow air movement of the speaker diaphragm into the tube itself.

As I said, there are many benefits, but the labor is nearly impossible for a manufacturer, although I can think of a number of ways after building one set to streamline and speed up the costs.

If people want, I can take a photo of the back where it attaches to the oak baffle.

Marlboro

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message