Home » Audio » Speaker » What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays?
Re: What about Oval shaped drivers (like 4"x6") for arrays? [message #60870 is a reply to message #60868] Mon, 14 September 2009 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Scaper is currently offline  Scaper
Esquire
Smile I was hoping for help on the initial question before I posted the BASSment photo. Smile It was just a general line array question. Pay no attention to the photo sir......but if I must tell of the system I have and what I want, then I sure will.

The subwoofer system was designed with the same general idea of why line arrays are enjoyed. Less distortion and no need to crank them up all the way. There are 4 separate enclosures and I can run the 2 vertical ones, or the 2 horizontal ones, or all at the same time. They're very "musical" subs that were used in the NHT VT-3 system.

Anyway, I won't be running the mains you see in that photo if/when I build some arrays. Plus, I'm not sure the line arrays will even be used in that room. But I'd still love to build a pair because I've heard mostly good reports about them.

Being that this would be my first try at a line array, I wanted to go with cheaper drivers. I came across some decent looking 3"x5" drivers with a response of 90-16,000hz. They seem very promising. But I just wasn't sure if the oval style would lend itself better to a line array. It seems that it would actually be better going by the white paper, but I don't know.

You could keep the C to C spacing less than a 4" driver, yet you would have a 5" width.......things would be more linear I would think.

So, not considering that room I posted. Would the oval shape be okay to use? If so, would the typical crossover point still be figured using the C to C method?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Fitting line arrays together
Next Topic: For those of you who own a line array.....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 22:03:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio