Home » Audio » Speaker » Interesting New Line Array Design
Re: Interesting New Line Array Design [message #61232 is a reply to message #60571] Mon, 19 October 2009 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Rocket is currently offline  Rocket
Esquire
Please let me save you a lot of heartache. Please.

I built a Russell IDS25 clone - 'used the HiVi B3N drivers and a Behringer EQ. It was cool for a while by virtue of "hey cool, I built an array and it sounds impressive." And it was... for a little while.

But look, you are far better off with a 2 way array.

After A/B comparos to my little Usher X718's, there was just no competition. The little cones trying to reproduce that entire spectrum were just distorting like crazy, but you cant really hear it until you A/B em, unless you are golden eared and can get over the "wow" factor of you 1st array. - So I added a sub, and cut the low pass down to 80 Hz. It got a little better, but only marginally. The upper frequencies we just not there, even with gobs of EQ. (and its a killer EQ, BTW.)

Do yourself a favor, get some super cheap woofers around 5" or so, and a line of the PE 5/8" or 3/4" domes within the listening height, you don't have to go top to bottom of the line, and build a 2 way array of modest price. It will be exponentially better than the full range units, and you wont have to pawn off 50 drivers that you have no use for, or sell them to your friend who doesn't know a hill of beans about speakers, just that they are "impresssive and cool looking."

Just don't do it, Man.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message