Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » 2 B A Drug Addict in NO
Re: 2 B A Drug Addict in NO [message #56871 is a reply to message #56870] Wed, 07 September 2005 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm not kidding, not at all. I'm not making a judgement call, just stating the facts. To illustrate, look at the example of the car theft. The law isn't there to protect the victim of the crime, it is there to protect society from theft in general. Police try to catch bad guys and courts punish them as a deterrent, which then is supposed to rid the streets of bad guys. But nothing in that system is there to help the person that had their car stolen. It isn't setup to help individuals.

If you see the Columbine kids shooting and you draw down on one and force him to lay down his weapon, you will be charged with a felony. But at least you might stay alive, and if so, it would have been worth the hassle in court.

My statements aren't about what I think is right or wrong, they are facts about what is. The system isn't set up to protect individuals, it is set up to protect society.

The hurricane created millions of individual tragedies. Lots of people need help. And I hope each and every one is helped. But it is going to take a lot of individual efforts, over and above what the government or any political pundits might promise.

The political posturing makes me sick, from both sides. It makes me sick because it is so full of rhetoric and impossible promises. It's all about what would or should or could have been done if it were done "our" way. Talk, talk, talk.

I think the good news for the hurricane victimns, is that government assistance will be made available, and I think there will be a pretty good amount of it. I think destroyed cities and structures will be rebuilt, maybe some things will be different, but I think people will make good.

And I think there will be plenty of individual assistance too, in this case. It is an extraordinary circumstance. But my point is that government is not setup to take care of each of us individually, for right or wrong, it just isn't. That's why it's really good to donate at times like these, because even after the government payouts, there still isn't going to be enough to take care of everyone. There never is.

I don't think it's reasonable for a political party to spin this, or for anyone to turn this human tragedy into a political talking point. I just really don't like that, maybe it's just me.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message