Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Cables
Cables [message #55792] Sat, 01 May 2004 02:39 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
I didn't look through more than a post or two over in the mudwrestling pit, but I did notice that there were some claims that a cable was relabeled and marked up, perhaps excessively. I could see this was the point, but then stopped reading after a post or two. Not worth my time. But I was curious about a few things, directed towards pretty much anyone considering the subject of aftermarket cables:

1. Do you believe that expensive cables are worth it?

A. When defining an interface or interconnect, do you look for more than resistance, capacitance, inductance, coupling proximity to other conductors, resistance to corrosion and insulation strength, etc.?
2. Did you think that relabeling a product is dishonest? How about OEM stuff?

3. If OEM or whatever, if relabeled, do you think that slapping a high price on a product will make it more attractive to the twitch-o-philes, making them believe the thing is somehow "better"?

4. Same question as #3, except what if a small cosmetic change is made between the expensive audiophile item and the inexpensive part?

5. How about a legitimately improved product, say one where the conductors are treated to resist corrosion and the connectors made with precious metals for the same reason? Or if it has greater current-carrying capacity, better shielding or other benefits?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Golden Ears
Next Topic: no rulez eh
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 31 12:26:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects