Home » xyzzy » Tower » A Good Word for AudioXPress
A Good Word for AudioXPress [message #53950] Tue, 04 May 2004 19:16 Go to previous message
Dean Kukral is currently offline  Dean Kukral
Master
Ten or fifteen years ago I subscribed to Stereophile. It was pretty far out, and most of the stuff was not available in Wichita. But I kept on thinking that perhaps I could "learn something."

Then one issure had a fairly extensive "review" of cables. All the comparisons were made (as I remember) as if the reviewer could actually hear these things. What bull! So, I did not renew my subscription. Ever since, when I get an offer for a year of Stereophile for $12, I toss it in the trash.

I bought an issue or two of Audioxpress. Interesting, but way overpriced. Then Bill Fitzmaurice referred to an article he wrote, and I bought that issue. I decided to subscribe, because maybe I could "learn something."

I soon got my first issue along with the bill. And what should be in the very first issue but a useless article about cables along with a stupid full-page comparison "review." (Puke.) (BTW, if your religion is that you can hear the difference between 95% oxygen free and 99% oxygen free, more power to you. But I'll stick to the cheap stuff from Lowe's myself, as that is my religion. Besides, as a retired college teacher, that is all I can afford!!)

I was disgusted, but I felt committed, and I sent in my check for $35 with a sick feeling in my stomach. After all, Stereophile was only $12! But I wrote a note on the back of the bill saying that if that was the type of junk that they published, I would not be resubscribing.

Well they sent me my check back and cancelled my subscription!!!

How about that?! I thought that it was a very honorable thing to do!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: The Concordes last flight
Next Topic: Some Good Books . . .
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jun 20 07:33:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects