Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Anyone try damping the CH-290 horns yet? nt
Re: Anyone try damping the CH-290 horns yet? nt [message #52674 is a reply to message #52670] Thu, 25 September 2008 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
LAL is currently offline  LAL
Baron
I mount the crossover to the least resonant platform I can reasonably make and then velcro it to the speaker cabinet rather than attach it with glue or screws that can readily transfer vibrations from the cabinet to the crossover, and then cover it with insulation. More listening has confirmed to my satisfaction that the rope caulk tweak works. Incidentily, my Stage 4 cabinets are filled with polyfil except for the vents. For my speakers this gives a smoother, clearer midrange at the expense of some low bass response. I consider it a good trade off. I think it works much better that just lining opposite sides of the cabinet with 4 inches or so of fiberglass. It cuts down on the back wave of the 15 inch woofer reflecting back through it. I strongly suspect that the not having this reflected back wave is one of the reasons why so many like the sound of open baffled speakers. Anyway, my Stage 4s are sounding very nice right now and I am quite pleased with them, although I would love to have the JBL/B&C combo.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Cherry, mahogany and Prokofieff Pi
Next Topic: Another important Pi tweak
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 23:51:05 CDT 2024