Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Transporting 2-way speaker box to Open Baffle
Transporting 2-way speaker box to Open Baffle [message #52310] Fri, 11 July 2008 03:04 Go to previous message
ttan98 is currently offline  ttan98
Baron
I have essentially a JBL speaker system(MR825 model) which comprises 2-way drivers for outdoor pro audio use. The 2-way comprises of a horn with compression driver and a 15" woofer. The bass response from the box does not really go very low, -3dB @ 80Hz.

I removed the passive x-over and drove the comp. drive and woofer separately using 2 amps via a digital x-over,DCX2496. The x-over freq maintains at around 1.5Khz using Butterworth filter. Overall the sound was much better than using passive driving from a single amp.

I went further by removing the box and put the 2-way on an open baffle(now essentially like a Bastani system) and I found the overall sound did not improve that dramatically, the following was observed:

1. Obviously the bass suffered that was not the point I planned to supplement it with sub-woofer.
2. The sound seemed more disperse as it was now in an open enironment. That sound was not focus, imaging suffered.

I have a small room maybe a box approach maybe better, comments anyone? Wayne, have you tried this before, and what are your observations?

Cheers...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: impedance curve
Next Topic: 4 pi crossover ???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Jul 17 17:33:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations