Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi 4 Stage Series plans, and a few questions?
Pi 4 Stage Series plans, and a few questions? [message #50791] Sat, 10 March 2007 10:14 Go to previous message
stgrenier is currently offline  stgrenier
Esquire
Wayne, could you send the plans fon the Pi 4 Stage Series? Thank you!

I'd like to build some speakers for use in an audio and home theater setup. I like the idea of the Pi 4 Stage Series, as I can upgrade to JBL drivers at a later time when funds allow. I do have a few questions before I proceed, thanks in advance for any help.

1.) I'd like to stand these on top of the storage cabinets I use to store my music/movies, but I'm not sure if they're too high. The cabinets are 26.5 inches high, and my listening position is 10 feet away on a couch. Also, do you think standing them on cabinets will cause vibrations or other issues? I've included the URL to the actual storage cabinets, if anyone is curious.

2.) How heavy are these, if build with MDF? I'd like to use the Pi4 Stage as a center channel, too, which means I'll need to mount on the ceiling or the wall behind the TV. Are these too heavy to mount? If not, can anyone recommend specific wall mounting brackets?

3.) I'm a complete newbie to building speakers, is there a resource online that someone recommends that covers, in detail with photos, how to build these? I'm talking more about the basic construction, and leaving the physical look (wood veneer, paint, etc) aside for the time being.

Basic box construction. What do you use to secure and seal the four sides, glue/sealant, screws, etc.

Bracing. Where are the braces mounted, how many, of what material, how are they installed (glue? screws?).

Installation of the driver. Do they have to be recessed, what tools are recommended, do you use a sealant, etc.

Installation of damping material. What kind, how much, etc?

As you can tell, I'm clueless about all this. I've actually read quite a bit in this forum the last few years, but many of you appear to have extensive experience, and tend to discuss design theory as opposed to the more elementary topics highlighted above.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Steve

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Baffle step compensation
Next Topic: R13??