Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Studio One Tower
Re: Xover thoughts... [message #50521 is a reply to message #50519] Thu, 11 January 2007 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I would use a 2.5-way crossover, measure it and see how it goes. I can't see any reason it wouldn't provide everything you would want. The idea is to crossover one woofer at a relatively low frequency, so both are playing down low. Then run the second woofer up to the tweeter crossover point. The low frequency woofer should be mounted low in the box, and the midwoofer should be mounted higher. I'd put them all on the same baffle, aligned vertically. The low woofer isn't as critical with respect to placement, just make sure it's within 1/4λ at the crossover point.

I would run the low woofer up to 150Hz or 200Hz, so that it can smooth the floor bounce modes that would exist for the upper woofer were it to be operated alone. As I said, I would position it no further than 1/4λ below the midwoofer at the crossover point. Tweeter crossover is about a decade above low woofer cutoff, around 2kHz. The tweeter should be placed just above the midwoofer, less than 1/4λ away at its crossover point. Each of these crossovers can be made first-order, because none of the drivers is particularly sensitive to over-excursion, and each driver is to be placed within 1/4λ of the adjacent driver at the crossover point.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message