Home » Audio » Group Build » New Project IC phono preamp
New Project IC phono preamp [message #97470] Thu, 29 February 2024 20:40 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi everyone. Contrary to common opinion I do mess around with SS stuff. A goodly while back I cooked up a design for a phono and nab preamp that used an IC. It was and still is a really nice sounding device and in the earliest form quite inexpensive. I am in progress to see how it can be bettered and so far results are promising. Super fit to the RIAA curve. Within +/- 0.5 dbv at 1 volt out from below 10HZ to past 70K (yes I know that is outside the formal values). S/N wide band unweighted is in the -92dbv range on MM and -90 on LOMC. Very clean and detailed sound. If I had to give up tubes I could live with it. (BTW a friend in Australia has built and sold a number of the earlier ones and folks are really happy with them) The present specs are bread board values and the built version ought to be a bit better on the S/N. Stay tuned for a schematic when I get it made up. One thing though you need to select the components for the EQ part to be under 1% in value. I just get a batch of each one needed and use a LCR meter to get what I need. Larger % will alter the fit to the RIAA curve.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Precautionary Measures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:25:03 CDT 2024