Home » Audio » Radio » 1922 Westinghouse Aeriola
1922 Westinghouse Aeriola [message #96211] Wed, 30 November 2022 12:33 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've been meaning to write about this for weeks, but have been busy and just forgot to create a post.

Look what my wife got me for my birthday:

A 1922 Westinghouse Aeriola radio with the tube intact!

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3280&private=0
1922 Westinghouse Aeriola Radio

It appears to be a regenerative single-triode radio that was designed to use batteries for power and high-impedance headphones for output. The tuning element is inductive rather than capacitive. So it's a hoot!

I have a bunch of tube radios from the late 1930s to the 1950s but this is my first 1920s radio.

I plan to power it with a modern supply and probably drive a modern amplifier. Or I might try to find the partner tube amp. I also think I'll store the original tube and replace it with a substitute. The WD-11 tube designed for this set is rare, delicate and expensive. It's a four-pin triode, with a unique pin layout. They're at least a couple hundred bucks each, and the filament is reportedly delicate. But a quick search of the internet shows me that some people substitute a 5676 tube using a pin-adapter.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=3281&private=0
WD-11 tube removed

I think it will need a good antenna, and that's kind of a problem since I live in the Ozarks. In Tulsa, I could receive stations in the AM band from hundreds of miles away. Oklahoma is flatland, so you get the best radio reception. And Tulsa has a 50kW "boomer" station at 1170kHz - KVOO from 1926 to 2002, KFAQ from 2002 to last year and now KTSB since 2021 - easy to detect with a crystal radio. But where I live now - in the hills - radio signals are much harder to receive.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: The First REAL World War?
Next Topic: News or Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:35:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout