Home » xyzzy » Tower » PCs Ugh
PCs Ugh [message #95598] Sun, 08 May 2022 14:12
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I posted this on another site, but it shows how complicated stuff gets.

Computers have found a new way to cause me consternation. Two recent events. The first is my new HP OMEN PC stopped listening to all of the USB inputs. It just stopped. The normal thing...reboot did not change it. This is a bit of a problem as the keyboard and mouse are USB. There was no way to communicate with the PC. Zero. I called HP. The told me how to do a hard factory reset without USB. Didn't work. Still zero. Windows would boot, but only to the login screen. No way to get anything else. Oops. If I had been using a bluetooth keyboard I might have been able to at least get in. Nope. So, HP said to send it in. They overnighted a FEDEX shipping container for it. Everything needed. Foam padding, plastic wrap, label (for FEDEX 1 day shipping)and even box tape. Off to the FEDEX office the next morning. One day in transit. One day to fix. The motherboard was bad. FEDEX 1 day to get it back. No charge to me. Really good customer service. All was well and good. Then the HP diagnostics said it was due for a bias update. No sweat. Tell it to do it and just wait. Never been an issue with any PC to date. It went smoothly. I didn't find out until about a week later that the update changed a setting I needed. I use Oracle VM to host a 32bit version of Windows as I have two really good programs I like that will not run on 64. There are no newer versions so that route is a no go. The VM started up normally. When I tried to start Windows it spit out errors. Nothing would make it run. I bad mouthed the folks from California. It took a bit of tracking down and a few false tries but I finally found the problem. I blamed the wrong folks. It was HP's doing. The bias update shut off the virtualization setting. Since most folks don't need it, the default is now off. Turned it on and life was good again.

Good Listening
Bruce

Read Message
Previous Topic: Dinosaurs
Next Topic: 14 Years
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:11:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio