Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Is it safe to position a Sub facing a room's side walls?
Is it safe to position a Sub facing a room's side walls? [message #93709] Tue, 11 May 2021 11:16 Go to previous message
mikehende is currently offline  mikehende
Chancellor
Hello all, I am new here seeking some advice/opinions for my issue please.

I have storage cabinets, shelving and whatever else placed along the back and side walls of the rectangular shaped garage which measures 10'W x 25'L and 8'H.

I have always had an issue with hearing the bass in different ways or lower tones at different spots in my Garage. I can't do anything about the room itself, it is what it is. Few days ago, I wasn't getting any sound from my EAW SB1000 Sub so I pulled it out and plugged it's cable from the Amp into my Full Range EV Eliminators to rule out any equipment issues. I then checked and it was the SB1000's speakon connection which had failed.

Thing is when I plugged the Bass Amp into the EV's, the EV's was in the middle of the room facing the side walls and I noticed that no matter where I stood in the room the bass was constant. So I decided to experiment further and placed the EV's where the EAW Sub was but placed them facing sideways towards the side walls between the 2 Shelving at the back wall and now the bass sounds equal at any spot in the Garage.

Please see attached pic of the back wall of my Garage. I am thinking of trying the EAW sb1000 sub in the same position but right now those are the EV's showing on the bottom of the pic facing sideways between the 2 storage shelves. As you can see there is some space like maybe 10″ on each side facing the shelves. Now if I were to place the EAW sub in that same way there would hardly be any free space on either side so might this be safe for the woofers please, if I should get the same results? Thanks guys.

/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2748&private=0
  • Attachment: IMG_2777.jpg
    (Size: 2.42MB, Downloaded 513 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message