Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 2 Pi tower build questions
2 Pi tower build questions [message #91303] Sat, 04 January 2020 23:26 Go to previous message
OneBean is currently offline  OneBean
Baron
I'm working on building cabinets for a pair of 2 Pi towers now. I have been reading through old posts, looking for guidance and tips. Barryso posted a great follow up on his 2 Pi tower build, and the details it took to get them sounding their best. Thank you Barryso. This answered a few of my questions, and gave me a couple more. Any help with the following topics would be appreciated.

Can I flush mount both the tweeter and mid/woofer? I saw a post mentioning that when the tweeter is below flush, it caused some harshness in the sound. I have the capability to cut steps in the front baffle to allow both drivers to be flush, but should I?

I read some messages about adding rope caulk to the basket of the mid/woofer, to clean up the sound. Does anyone have a picture of this? How much should I use, and where should it be applied? I have some left over dynamat from another project. Would it be effective to cut some strips of dynamat and stick it on the legs of the basket? Would one side be enough, of should I put a strip of dynamat on the inside and outside? Should I dampen the tweeter at all?

I read where Wayne prefers R-13 fiberglass insulation. I plan to use the type with no paper face. How should I attach it to the top, side, and front of the cabinet? Staples? Spray contact cement? Something else? I just don't want it falling off after the speaker is assembled.

I'm a little confused on the placement of the insulation attached to the bracing. Does the insulation attach to the top, bottom, and each cross brace, creating a "wall" between the front and back? I assume the main function is to stop higher frequencies from coming out the port on the back. Sorry if this is a dumb question, I just can't quite visualize it.

I'm planning to build these with the crossovers external, so I can swap caps and resistors (brands and types, not values) to see if it changes the sound. Once I have a combination I like, I'll solder all the components solid. Are there any rules to follow with external crossovers? I am planning to build them on some small scraps of 3/4" plywood, and add some small rubber feet to the plywood.

Please share any other details you think made a visual or sonic difference to your 2 Pi's. Thank you.

Onebean

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Constant directivity cornerhorn plan request
Next Topic: Flanking subs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:11:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects