Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Just finished 4pi build need some tips
Just finished 4pi build need some tips [message #90742] Thu, 01 August 2019 23:03 Go to previous message
Jelly_bean is currently offline  Jelly_bean
Esquire
Hi everyone,

I just finished my 4pi build (B&C + JBL) and finally have them up and running.

The sound was very underwhelming at first! Something had to be wrong. I believe I had the B&C driver hooked up backwards at first. I switched the leads and it sounded much better. It was like there was a hole in the sound from where the woofer would transition to the horn.

Anyway, I've had a couple hours on them now and could use a few suggestions. I can't help but notice that they are pretty bass heavy to the point where the sound is quite muddy/nasally and the speakers almost sound slow and not very dynamic. Instruments don't have the realism that everyone raves about with these speakers. I tried to switch the polarity of the JBLs but that didn't change much of the sound or fix the boomy sound.

1. Will the sound change after a while? (Not sure if I believe the whole 100+ hours of break in theory.)

2. I have R13 insulation on the top, back, port side, and the bracing under the horn resting on the braces.
Should I also have one laying on the the very bottom of the cabinet? I've seen people do both.

3. I have the speakers braced as per the plans (front and back + side to side) Do I need more bracing? Speakers have a solid "thwack" sound when I tap them with a knuckle anywhere on the cabinet and they don't vibrate when I touch them as they are playing. Do I need to additional bracing?

4. What is the recommended placement into the room for these? Do they need to be against the wall or pulled into the room? I've read about crossing them in front of the listener to widen the sweet spot and have them set up that way.

Thank you all in advance for your suggestions and help. They sound promising and I think I'm getting closer to getting them "right".

Chris

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: 8 Pi Plans
Next Topic: MiniDSP