Home » Audio » LSAF » LSAF 101 (Thoughts and ideas for new exhibitors)
LSAF 101 [message #88164] Tue, 12 June 2018 08:43 Go to previous message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
One of the things that dawned on me at this year's show was the relative ease at which the experienced folks handled the hurdles. They get through the obstacles so much better than the newbies.

This is an Exhibitor 101 thread to throw ideas and pointers to the folks that don't have years of experience showing off their wares at audio shows. The first posts are mine and, honestly, I've never hosted a room at an audio show. But I've been a regular at the GPAF and LSAF for a long time now and grew up working in my family's retail business. My father taught me that in retail you have to sweat the details.

So you may not agree with some of my notes. That's fine, just keep the conversation civil. Please add things you think can make it easier for newbies at the show, too.

Signs. The hotel won't allow you to put much of anything up on any surface, particularly if you might do damage to the paint. Solution? A free standing sign like Wayne has outside his room. You can always find Pi Speakers as their sign is visible from all parts of the 2nd floor.

More signs. Before you scribble something you'll hang for the weekend go downstairs to the hotel's business center and print it on the hotel's laser jet. It's free and it looks more professional than a hand written sign. Just give yourself a bit of time as the computers are sometimes cranky.

Yet more signs. Your room probably isn't going to be open every hour of the show. Put a quick, hand written note on the glass near the door ( remember the paint!) with a reasonable estimate of when you'll get back. If there is no sign a lot of folks will just give up on your room but if they know you'll be back soon there is a much better chance they'll circle back for a listen.

Wifi. If you are going to run computer audio you're going to have to setup your own router/network and avoid using the hotel network. Bring your own router and be ready to set it up.

Water, soda, candy, beer. Offer your guests some hospitality. Even though many folks won't take anything it's still a nice gesture.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: LSAF 2024
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 19:57:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects