Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pis lacking bass?
4pis lacking bass? [message #72644] Wed, 09 May 2012 14:24 Go to previous message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
Let me start by saying I am very satisified by how loud my three 4pi LCRs go with no distortion. I was hearing flaws and was trying to troubleshoot what was wrong with the speakers, and finally figured out that it was flaws in the MP3 and WAV recordings (and you can hear them on poorly mastered CDs too). A clean audio source really helps!

That said, I hear many people talk about their 4pis and how they do an excellent job of digging deep and how they excel with bass; some people even saying they don't feel the need to suppliment with subs. While I like what I hear so far, I am not hearing the kind of bass I was expecting based on how people described them. Here are the possible causes I am brainstorming:

1. The JBL 2226Hs are just not properly broken in yet? How important is the break-in period? Is it just a subtle difference, or is it a major noticible difference?

2. I am listening for the bass after turning off the two horned subs that have been playing with them in tandem; which is causing a "before/after" affect that is tricking my ears into not hearing the bass that is actually there because they are missing what the subs were producing.

3. Flaw in wiring configuration. This would be human error on my part. It seems possible, but all I really had to do is ensure that my polarity was correct. As I read the notes on the crossover diagram, both the 2226 woofer and the DE250 tweeter treat black as +, which is how I wired them to the crossovers. While there is certainly room for human error here, there is not much.

4. Flaws in the 2226 drivers. I purchased them from Guitar Center's website. They were advertized as new, came in original JBL boxes/packaging; and appear to be a brand new product. I only bring this up because Wayne has mentioned that some unsuspecting persons may sometimes be given re-treads.

5. Flaw in construction. This doesn't seem likely. I followed the instructions to a "T" and probably was more careful than I needed to be. And...a flaw in construction for all three?

Anyone have any thoughts?

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/292148_363833830318837_125754907460065_861897_1315915671_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/530028_3091172959239_1261447563_32178823_1460470789_n.jpg

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Frequency response question
Next Topic: Choosing hi-quality, void-free material is so important
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 16 09:31:53 CDT 2024