Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl Review
Vinyl Review [message #65771] Wed, 19 January 2011 20:20 Go to previous message
Adveser is currently offline  Adveser
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Alright, first of all. We all know vinyl has it's problems.

I picked up a new receiver/amplifier today and am impressed by the sound quality of vinyl. Having been born in 1985, needless to say I caught the last run of vinyl and subsequently had only heard very poor sounding systems full of worn out needles/bad carts/ancient phonographs.

Anyway. I conclude that while vinyl is not as good my own system I have of DSP and digital recordings, it is still quite good. Definitely worth a shot if you can get a cheap setup (I have 10 bucks in my system!)

The high high highs seem to be pretty much absent giving it a bit of a sibilant edge, but that is a function of the mastering/limitations of the media

The only thing I have noticed is that the needle isn't playing nice with the vintage amp and the output volume has to be kept kind of low or it will clip. That could be something that needs replacing inside it, but I'm about worried about it right now in any event.

Here is all the equipment:

Kenwood KD-4100 with Shure M44-7, both new
Realstic STA-84 ("loudness" turned on, everything else off and tone controls set to no effect)
The heqadphone jack goes into the Techwood 94A (no preamp)for it's final amplification and output to the speakers (Technics SBA28)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message