Home » Audio » Speaker » Magnepan 1.7 Crossover
Magnepan 1.7 Crossover [message #65484] Fri, 31 December 2010 17:27 Go to previous message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
For those who haven't been following the Magnepan story lately, the company recently introduced the new model 1.7 as a replacement for their 1.6. The 1.7 incorporates some significant changes, one of which is a change from a two-way to a two-way with a supertweeter. The audio press is describing the 1.7 as a spectacular success, but Peter Gunn, an aftermarket upgrader of Magnepan products, has described the new 1.7 this way: "It makes music simply sound wrong".
http://www.indiespinzone.com/mag/mag1.7.html

So here's the problem: I've owned the 1.6 and the 3.6 in the past, and they were great speakers. Magnepan is a highly regarded company and I can't believe they would replace their best value product with a lemon. But Peter Gunn's work with Magnepans in highly regarded among knowledgable audophiles. What gives?

I reviewed Peter's crossover schematic and drew two conclusions: 1) as far as I can tell it accrately reflects the wiring in the picture of the actual crossover, and 2) it makes no sense to me. As I see it, the woofer crossover is a simple first order with a series 1.4mH cap. The tweeter and supertweeter share the same first order crossover components, which are a 116uF and a 10Uf cap wired in series. I can't help but wonder if these are wired incorrectly, and that the 116uF should be the tweeter high pass filter and the 10uF should be a separate high pass filter for the supertweeter only. Comments?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Subwoofers
Next Topic: Can you Patch the Hole in a Speaker?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:37:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio