Home » Audio » Radio » Zenith Transoceanic G500 restoration (need help)
Zenith Transoceanic G500 restoration [message #63902] Sat, 21 August 2010 21:39 Go to previous message
dsumerfi is currently offline  dsumerfi
Esquire
I know little about electronics, but love a DIY project. I picked up Zenith Transoceanic G500 from a relative's junk-house recently, it's in bad shape. It seems a mouse was living in the old battery compartment at one point (the manual was partially chewed for nesting materials, and the power chord was chewed through).

I've tried to figure this out through various radio restoration websites (for example antiqueradio.com), but am stuck in the early stages. I figured I would replace the power chord, the old paper capacitors, and the rectifier and fire it up to see if it worked. I replaced the power chord first and plugged it in, but did not get anything out of the speakers.

I have the necessary capacitors to complete the "re-cap" and a new silicon diode to replace the rectifier, but there are a couple of pieces that I do not know how to identify. I clipped a piece attached directly to the positive end of the rectifier, it seems corroded.

index.php?t=getfile&id=251&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=252&private=0

From the schematic, my best guess is that this is a resistor? Also, do I need to replace the power resistor unit that is grommited to the chasis?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Daniel
  • Attachment: IMG_8388c.jpg
    (Size: 211.29KB, Downloaded 7877 times)
  • Attachment: IMG_8392.JPG
    (Size: 115.14KB, Downloaded 7573 times)

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message