Home » Audio » Speaker » Considering first line array build
Considering first line array build [message #61750] Wed, 20 January 2010 13:49 Go to previous message
Captainobvious is currently offline  Captainobvious
Esquire
First post. Thanks for taking the time to read and respond Smile

Im considering building my first line array and I wanted to ask a few questions.

I would be building a 2 way system with mid and tweeter arrays. Im a big fan of the Tang Band W3-1364SA bamboo coned drivers, but they have an awefully limiting xmax at 0.5mm which makes them less desireable for this project. That said, the midrange driver I have been considering is the Dayton ND90. What would be the max center to center driver spacing while steering clear of comb filtering effects ?
Im trying to come to a happy medium where I can use fewer drivers to save money, while still achieving a good nearfield listening experience. My cieling height is 9' so at the 70% mark for boundary coupling, I would need a woofer array length of 75.6 inches (6.3 feet). If the absolute minimum driver spacing was used (3.5" OD), that would require 22 drivers per side. Shocked

I prefer to keep the midrange LP crossed around 4K as I like to keep the vocal range away from the crossover point. Is this realistic, or would I have to go with a lower crossover point?
Can fewer drivers be utilized to still accomplish the same goal?

Thanks for your responses.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Line array picture site
Next Topic: Can anyone help me find this line array elemnts.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 10 01:51:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio