Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Should I build Pi's?
Should I build Pi's? [message #46977] Sun, 29 May 2005 20:21 Go to previous message
swett is currently offline  swett
Baron
I've been lurking here for a long time and its finally time to build a new pair of speakers. The question is whether to go with something conventional, like the Ellis Audio 1801, or horns like the Pi's?

I know these are two entirely different approaches, since the 1801's are extremely insensitive speakers and the Pi's are extremely sensitive.

One constraint is that the speaker can't be more than 44" tall, because of where I'm going to place them, so the standard method of building the 7Pi's is out, even though I do have a corner available, so I guess I could make a 2-way version of the 7Pi's.

I want to spend around $750 ideally, but I'm willing to go up to $1k.

If I did go with the Pi's, there is also the question of active versus passive. I could buy the Behringer digital crossover, which would have a lot of nice features, like the ability to eq for my room, but would require a bit more setup.

What would you do in my situation? Also, if I did go with the 1801's or the Pis now, I may still build the other farther in the future, since I have some NHT 1.5's I could upgrade with the 1801's.

Thanks, Ian

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Here's a 15" wooferer with great specs for $172
Next Topic: Pi 7's , will they work for me?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 03:18:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio