Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » doubling up woofers
doubling up woofers [message #44038] Wed, 25 February 2004 17:09 Go to previous message
dr.joe is currently offline  dr.joe
Chancellor
I'm wondering about the advantages of using two woofers per cabinet. I'm thinking of an "mini-DMS-1" arrangement using a JBL 2426/2370A driver/horn between two 2206 12" LF drivers.

I know using two woofers is a way of increasing sensitivity, getting the LF output 3 dB closer to that of the HF horn. But does it also extend bass response and reduce distortion? Does it improve the spatial presentation of the music (all that imaging and soundstaging stuff)? Not only DMS-1s, but a lot of "audiophile" speakers seem to favour this MTM arrangement. But with the high-power, high sensitivity 2206 JBL driver, is there any point in this for home music listening?

And, finally, are any special calculations required for building double-woofer boxes, or does one simply double the internal volume and the number of ports?

For e.g., JBL suggests, for the 2206 12" driver, a 2 cu. ft. box (18.9 x 14.2 x 12.3 in. inside dimensions), tuned to 40 Hz via a one 4-inch diameter port 7.6 in. long.

Many thanks to all posters for a lively and always informative forum!

Regards,

Joel.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Port tube question
Next Topic: Studio 1 as nearfield monitor
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 11:13:51 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects