Home » Audio » Group Build » SE 300B Project, Part 13 - The finished amp
SE 300B Project, Part 13 - The finished amp [message #31912] Mon, 26 June 2006 12:25 Go to previous message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Well, I finally put together two AZ50 rectifiers, two 300B and two C3g tubes on the top of the 19"/2HE rack , together with PT (grey box).
I wanted compactness of the single chasis stereo amp, but you can see the inside - two PTs, four PS chokes, two grid chokes, 11 big capacitors, two CCS modules, etc. Everything is closer together then I really liked, but I tried my best to somehow put all this together. See the position and orientations of various magnetic components.
I added partition in the middle of non-magnetic steel, a little bit of separation between the channels and components, but its main purpose was to strenghten the chasis - it isn`t human how heavy is this amp!
The components are hanging upside-down, screwed on the top plate - good for servicing, but not so nice looking of many srew-heads on the top plate...personally, I don`t care.
L & R inputs are in the corners, very close to the "Goldpoint" input attenuators and driver tubes - just a few cm of silver wire...
On the first picture you can (barely) see the pot for hum balance, and a little socket for monitoring the bias current close to the 300B socket.

From the rear you can see the (IMO - nice ) location of LEDs for the C3g bias, connectors, switches and pots.

The sound is a little more "damped" and less open then breadboarded version, probably not a surprise - monobloc construction and a larger chasis have their advantages.
After a few hours of burn-in (listening the music), the sound is a bit better, but I`ll try a few things (Mu-out) again...and again...
And one more thing - I relocated the amp to the home where the mains voltage is about 5% lower then in my "workshop"(B+ and B1+, too)...output tubes now biased about -69V (it`s a 69/910 ~76mA), I`ll probably lower Rk`s a little. Expecting update in a week or two...

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Any new project ideas for winter?
Next Topic: Spare me some IXP10M45S ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:20:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout