Home » Audio » General » A little carping
A little carping [message #2971] Mon, 10 April 2006 18:52 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I was just reading some TT threads on another popular audio forum site. I have to pitch a bitch here about a couple things. First up; the guy posts asking about the comparison between the Shure M97 ed and the Audio Technica AT 440. There were eighteen replies; I kid you not and geuss what? Not one answered the question. There were replies that explained all kinds of stuff about mass and compliance; most of it slightly wrong; some of it really wrong. Some guys offered the advice to use coins on the headshell to help with tracking.
There were stories about old tables people had known and loved; there were some good links to stuff that had nothing to do with the question; some had nothing to do with audio.
Finally the guy just said he bought the AT 440 and thanks but no thanks.

Maybe I am old fashioned but I think it's good to make posts that deal with the question at hand; but I notice there is a tendancy to do this; reply with all kinds of irrelevant info; useless analogies and disconnected narratives that have nothing to do with the question at hand. Or nice lengthy descriptions of things the reply person has owned since 1930 or pictures of his living room. I find it frustrating when a simple answer completely eludes an entire group of forum participants.

This guy still has no idea if the Shure is maybe a better choice for him. What a shame. Because in that arm the Shure probably was a better choice. And no one mentioned cementing the stylus to the headshell; which is a major improvement on every cartridge I have ever heard in the under 100$ range.

I promise to try and offer an answer if I think I might be able to help someone that deals with the specific question the poor guy asked.
I'd love to see that become a common practice.

Also that people actually read the post and think of what the question is.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Near out of body experience
Next Topic: Warning!!! My computer has a virus.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 21:15:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio