Home » Audio » Speaker » Folded horns with curves, about 60 – 500 Hz
Folded horns with curves, about 60 – 500 Hz [message #18288] Sun, 20 November 2005 03:23 Go to previous message
Richard is currently offline  Richard
Esquire
Hi

I’m going to build my first horn system, about 60 – at least 6000 Hz. (Under that sealed active subs, above that maybe Aurum Cantus ribbons).
Most desired qualities: transient response, dynamics & detail.
Budget: lowish with good quality.

Plan A is look for a horn to put my 12” JBL 2202H's in, covering 60 - 400 Hz. A bit more would be better, as my mids would be happier from 500 Hz up.

A straight hypex 68" (172 cm) should give close to 60 Hz, but is a tad long. When I saw 15" JBLs in a U horn the other day http://hem.passagen.se/sajberrapid/50hz.html, I thought the smaller size and ability to stick them where the back wall meets the side-walls should make integration easier. I tried to contact Mattias for design info, without success so far.

Option B is just run the JBLs up to about 150-250 Hz, then use some 10" PHL 3451s that I have, up to about 800 Hz, then a 1.5-2" driver in a horn all the way to 20 kHz.

If I go Plan A, it’d be more flexible with either a U horn (how to design it?) or a folded horn. To get extension to 500 Hz, I’d need one with either very well deigned reflectors, or curves.

Bill Fitzmaurice’s DR horns have curved bends, eg www.billfitzmaurice.com/plans/product_info.php/products_id/3 but are a double curve, and intended to hold arrays as well, so degree of difficulty to build is more than I need.

Is there a single curve folded design around?

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Mounting Woofer
Next Topic: what are power extremes/ or nominal power to be....
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 12:37:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio