Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
141 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 03 January 2011 13:54 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: pi seven top horns?
The bass bin of the π cornerhorn has remained unchanged since it was introduced in 1980, but the midrange and tweeter have changed over the years. I've used direct radiating mids and horn-loaded mids, and for a few years even experimented with making th...
2 Forum: Craftsmen «» Posted on: Mon, 18 October 2010 12:37 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Speaker Grill Cloth
There is nothing that is truly acoustically transparent. If you want the best fidelity, don't use a grille. If one is needed, put it as close to the speaker as possible. Several materials are made specifically for the purpose, and they aren't that e...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 21 August 2010 10:08 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 2-Pi Tower floorbounce
Oh, yes, you'll see it in measurements. If you lay the speaker on it's side, the notch is gone because the midwoofer is closer to the ground, shifting the self-interference notch up in frequency. Of course, you see anomolies at higher frequency when yo...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 20 August 2010 13:12 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 2-Pi Tower floorbounce
It's a narrow notch, a reduction in amplitude from self-interference, much like the notch from vertical nulls. In fact, it's there for a very similar reason, except the second source is a reflector, not a radiator.
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 09 August 2010 11:12 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 3pi's in a corner?
Just put the three π loudspeakers in the corners and angle them in 45°. They'll work beautifully. The box tuning is already slightly overdamped, just like the six π cornerhorn, so you don't need to change vent tuning. I'd suggest multisubs also, wheth...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 25 July 2010 09:37 «» By: Wayne Parham
Modal smoothing using dense interference from multiple sound sources
Oh, yes, absolutely. Modal smoothing is done with dense interference. It's kind of the opposite approach to what you'd take to get a good point source. In an anechoic environment (outdoors), you'd want a point source. That would ensure constructive...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 12 July 2010 14:18 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread
Sorry. I didn't mean to be brutally honest. I don't really like coming across that way. But I guess it probably did sound like that. In truth, there are a lot of things in the environment that cause 10dB swings in what would be an otherwise perfectl...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 12 July 2010 09:51 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Three 4Pi's in Basic Black for Home Theater Build Thread
Oh my, it looks like the screen has introduced ripple of about 5dB between 3kHz and 10kHz, as much as 10dB between 4kHz and 5kHz. From that, I would guess the screen is fairly reflective, not fully transparent acoustically. Those peaks and dips look li...
9 Forum: Pro Sound «» Posted on: Thu, 06 May 2010 15:18 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Build my own subs
In some cases, I think that makes sense. But you can't fix everything with signal processing. Setting a delay or making a filter is easy, but some acoustics problems can't be solved that way. Two examples that come to mind are cone breakup and destruc...
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 13 April 2010 21:27 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 3pi/ 4pi plans
Stands are good for raising the sound source, particularly for smaller speakers. I think it becomes less necessary with larger speakers, and sometimes I use stands that are short enough they are probably best called angled risers. But sometimes even la...
Pages (15): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15    »]

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 05:16:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio