Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
495 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 15 January 2009 18:07 «» By: Wayne Parham
Speakers and room as a system
I generally design speakers to be slightly overdamped in the bass. This yields a response curve that rolls off gradually, which is useful in most cases. For one thing, it is tolerant of electro-mechanical shifts due to increased power. As power is inc...
2 Forum: Pro Sound «» Posted on: Sun, 11 January 2009 21:07 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Folded Horn vs Tapped Horn
A tapped horn is like a transmission line. It trades size for efficiency, meaning you can get a low cutoff in a relatively small box but the efficiency isn't as high as a traditional basshorn. It also has higher distortion because of its high frequency ...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 11 January 2009 15:18 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Subwoofer Recommended for 2 Pi Towers?
I don't run subs with my two π towers.When you asked about subs I gave some suggestions as to what could be used, but don't take that as a recommendation either for or against using them.The multi-sub approach is a strategy that smoothes the energy distri...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 08 January 2009 20:11 «» By: Wayne Parham
You've got mail!
JBL 2205, 2225 and 2226 woofers aren't subs, but they are some of the best sounding midwoofers I've ever used. They have well damped cones that provide smooth midrange and flux stabilization that reduces distortion.four π performance dataYou can always a...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 07 January 2009 23:36 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Positioning and subs
I wouldn't say that subs should always go in corners, but there are some benefits of corner placement and I think that at least one sub in a multi-sub setup should go in a corner. I also think that when rooms have two good corners, then π cornerhorns ...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 07 January 2009 12:15 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Positioning and subs
I have always liked corner placement where possible. It sets the radiation angle at frequencies above the Schroeder frequency. If a sound source would radiate omnidirectionally otherwise, placing it in a trihedral corner forces radiation to be limited t...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 06 January 2009 19:17 «» By: Wayne Parham
Positioning and subs
I like to use a small riser that angles the speakers back about 5°. Not much, just enough to tilt the forward axis up slightly, to put the pattern at ear level a few feet back. This keeps the midwoofers low enough that there is no floor bounce notch. ...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 05 January 2009 22:34 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Imaging, placement and orientation
That's what I have in my living room. Four π speakers with JBL 2226 woofers and B&C DE250 compression drivers. I also have a pair of three π subs, to increase bass extension and even more importantly, to smooth room modes. In my office I have seven π c...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 22 December 2008 15:11 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: What solid filler for Theater 4 cabs...
I wouldn't bother trying to fill the cabinets with anything. If you put an Omega 15 into an old Theater four π cabinet, the response curve isn't bad. It's overdamped, curve sort of like an EBS alignment but instead of a shelf you get a smooth flat diago...
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 16 December 2008 11:34 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: jbl 2205 vs eminence omega 15
I like the Omega 15 but it is not as clean sounding as the 2205 at midrange frequencies. The 2205 has a shorting ring for reduced distortion, and you can really hear the difference, especially when used as a midwoofer. Its successors, the 2225 and 2226,...
Pages (50): [ «    26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35  36  37  38  39  40  41    »]

Current Time: Tue May 14 10:27:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio
Smith & Larson Audio