Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
130 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 16 August 2002 10:20 «» By: Wayne Parham
Cornerhorns!
I really like the π cornerhorn configuration, for lots of reasons. The gain you can expect is 9dB over free-space or 6dB over half-space. The area expansion from the room's corner apex is equivalent to a rectangular straight-walled horn with 70° flare...
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 27 May 2002 07:42 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: How about the sound of CD horns then?
Axisymmetric CD horns sound midrange heavy and require equalization to sound right. I prefer 90o radial horns, which provide constant directivity in the horizontal plane. That ensures room coverage is good and the reverberent field is uniform. But it do...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 27 May 2002 00:55 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Sound characteristics of different horn flares and materials
I prefer 90x40 horns because they provide a good pattern in-room, especially when used in cornerhorns. That's a unique situation because directivity is equal throughout the entire audio band if all horns have a 90 degree pattern. This makes the reverbere...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 04 May 2002 09:07 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Differences between "normal" of "horn"-type active filter.
There are several thing to consider when setting up your loudspeaker system and its crossover and contour electronics:1. The electro-mechanico-acoustic response of the driver(s)2. The acoustic filter function of the cabinet/horn/chamber(s) 3. The direct...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 28 December 2001 10:20 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Is this horn flare suitable for PSD2002?
If I were planning to use a tweeter horn with a different pattern, I'd crossover at a different frequency to maintain DI matching. If the tweeter horn pattern is more narrow, crossover higher; If wider, crossover lower. The idea is to crossover in the f...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 26 December 2001 21:40 «» By: Wayne Parham
JBL specifications documents and whitepapers
Both the 2370 and the 2344 provide constant directivity, so they'll each need 6dB/octave compensation above 5kHz or so. This is provided in the Pi crossover, via the R1/R2/C1 top-octave compensation network. However, the 2370 and 2344 have different radi...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 15 December 2001 09:44 «» By: Wayne Parham
Two-way vs. Multi-way
There are pros and cons of both approaches. Multi-way tends to improve extension at both ends of the audio spectrum and it reduces intermodulation distortion. Two-way tends to improve phase distortion which in turn improves response by reducing ripple. ...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Fri, 23 November 2001 22:02 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Klipschorn vs. Seven Pi with JBL drivers
Remember to consider the source. If you ask for an opinion on the Klipsch forum, I wouldn't be surprised to hear responses favorable to Klipsch. Same is true here.That said, I've always liked the Klipschorn and in fact, it was what really inspired the π ...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 01 November 2001 15:51 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Electronic crossover's any thoughts?
The biggest advantage to multi-amping is the bandwidth reduction you get. When you don't have HF riding on top of LF, you gain some dynamic range in the amps. As an example, if you have 40v peak bass content and 15v peak treble, then the amplifier must b...
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 13 August 2001 21:21 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Compression vs. piezo tweeters
The smaller speakers have HF extension past 20kHz. The larger speakers with compression horns don't reach quite to 20kHz, but in all other respects, coverage, uniformity of reverberent field, lower distortion, the larger speakers perform better.
Pages (13): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13    »]

Current Time: Tue May 14 03:57:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio