Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
142 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Sat, 17 October 2009 14:13 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Horn Loaded woofers vs Line array woofers Question
Indoors, I'd prefer the woofer array because it is distributed. Look at the multisub approach, which smoothes the sound field by breaking up room modes. Outdoors, I'd prefer hornsubs because horn loading increases effiency by matching the electro-mecha...
2 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Mon, 12 October 2009 14:39 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Interesting New Line Array Design
Yeah, I noticed that too. Measurements taken at different locations and averaged together will tend to smoothe the curve. This is sort of how the multisub approach works to smoothe the modal region. Where there would be dip from destructive interfer...
3 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Tue, 01 September 2009 11:07 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Smoothing Effect on FR of multiple speakers
I measure drivers individually and then as their sound mixes with others. The reason there is a change in FR is due to acoustic summing, both from the direct sound and the reflected sound. It is a very real and measurable effect, easily seen in the amp...
4 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Wed, 26 August 2009 22:48 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: shouting voices
Room modes definitely exist up into the lower midrange. If the speakers sound right outdoors, then it's the room. That's a relatively easy test. If it's the room, I'd suggest trying a multisub arrangement. The idea is to make an array of subs to sm...
5 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Tue, 18 August 2009 10:12 «» By: Wayne Parham
Multisubs
I think it's a good idea. Do a search here about multisub configurations.
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 17 August 2009 15:18 «» By: Wayne Parham
four π speakers + multisubs
When I don't run subs, I always position the woofer close to the floor to avoid floor bounce. I recommend floor standing or angled risers or no more than a few inches, if subs aren't used. If subs are used, then I usually put the main speakers on a st...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 02 June 2009 00:27 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 7 Pi treble edge!
I think multisub is the way to go, in spite of the extra complexity. If you're looking for the best bass, the multisub approach is the way to get it. Beyond that, there may be some issues in the upper modal range, which is actually fairly low in freque...
8 Forum: General «» Posted on: Mon, 18 May 2009 17:01 «» By: Wayne Parham
Waveguides verses Horns
I've always liked the design principles of the kinds of horns that are now called "waveguides." If you look back through the Pi Speaker forum archives, you'll see a clear pattern of preference to horns that delivered constant directivity (especi...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 04 May 2009 12:05 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 2nd pic
Carpeting works wonders for the floor, in my opinon. The pad and the carpet do a pretty good job of reducing HF floor reflection.How does the room sound when you clap your hands? Walk around the room and listen for ringing spots. Sometimes those angled...
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 29 April 2009 23:54 «» By: Wayne Parham
Boundary conditions and floor bounce
Boundary loading increases SPL because it constrains the radiating angle. Where a sound source like the four π speaker in frespace would radiate omnidirectionally, boundary loading reduces the radiating angle. So at low to mid frequencies, the first-arr...
Pages (15): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15    »]

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:02:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio