Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
142 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 05 May 2010 09:28 «» By: Wayne Parham
Hornsubs verses direct radiators
I love horns, as you may know. And I think basshorns are some of the most challenging and exciting to build. The problem is, they have to be large to be good. That makes them difficult to use in a home hifi environment. Maybe in a batchelor pad or ma...
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 02 May 2010 20:23 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 4pi - like
Well, as for what I'd do with those components, I'd make four π loudspeakers. They are the best loudspeaker I could make with that driver complement. Spent a lot of time perfecting them, actually. Run subs below them in a multisub arrangement for exte...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 29 April 2010 20:19 «» By: tom-m
Re: Versions and Upgrades
So how do you get gradual roll off like a sealed box, but using a ported box? It is just over damped? Is this a low "Q"? Thanks. Tom (I will see you in Dallas)
4 Forum: Pro Sound «» Posted on: Thu, 29 April 2010 16:26 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Build my own subs
I think that the number of subs required really depends on the environment and application, but you'll be hard pressed to find mains that can keep up with the 12π hornsub on a one-to-one basis. Usually, I see at least two mains flown for each sub. Some...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 29 April 2010 14:13 «» By: Wayne Parham
Versions and Upgrades
I agree with your assessment of the crossover. The new version (2007) is an incremental improvement over the original, not a night-and-day paradigm shift by any means. The basic design hasn't changed in many years. But having the latest version of the...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 13 April 2010 21:27 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 3pi/ 4pi plans
Stands are good for raising the sound source, particularly for smaller speakers. I think it becomes less necessary with larger speakers, and sometimes I use stands that are short enough they are probably best called angled risers. But sometimes even la...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 04 April 2010 08:41 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 3 Pi Modifications
Don't use laminated core coils, because the decreased resistance isn't needed and you're increasing magnetic non-linearity in the trade. You have to really look at the circuit to know whether an iron core coil is needed. If DC resistance is high enough...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 16 March 2010 11:31 «» By: Wayne Parham
Baffle Step
In my opinion, baffle step compensation filters can be useful, but only for a fairly limited number of loudspeaker types. I think they are way overused in the DIY community. BSC filters are best suited for little mini-monitor speakers with small baffle...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 14 March 2010 22:56 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 4 Pi speaker stands?
I generally suggest stands if subs are used, and no stands if subs aren't used. You can use angled risers instead. Baffle step is actually a directivity issue, and all my larger speakers employ controlled directivity. The cornerhorns use the corner ...
10 Forum: Room Acoustics «» Posted on: Wed, 17 February 2010 08:51 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: I've Got A Problem
You probably have a problem with reflections and with room modes. For the reflections, try absorbant material like curtains, acoustic tile or foam wedges. For room modes, you might try the multisub approach.
Pages (15): [ «    1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15    »]

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:12:41 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio