Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
169 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 24 October 2011 17:36 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Helper Woofer Location
The best approach for the helper woofer is to locate it physically between the main midwoofer and the nearest room boundaries. So you might want to put the helper woofer on the back, near the bottom. I sometimes call this a "flanking sub" app...
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 12 October 2011 12:48 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Speaker placement and wavefront launch
Absolutely, the woofer in a constant directivity cornerhorn runs up to around ~300Hz, with a gradual first-order rolloff. It overlaps with the midhorn from 100Hz to 300Hz, smoothing the vertical modes. It gives a full, rich body to the fundamentals in ...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 11 October 2011 12:58 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: LAB12
Also study the multisub concept for smoothing room modes: Room modes, multisubs and flanking subs High-Fidelity Uniform-Directivity Loudspeakers
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 08 October 2011 23:03 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: LAB12
I've send the plans for the three π subwoofer. As for crossovers, there are a lot of options. The Behringer would work, as would the Rekkhorn sub crossover or the Pyle crossover. I wouldn't use the Pyle crossover unless it were modded though, so if ...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 06 October 2011 14:46 «» By: Wayne Parham
I have two answers for you, one that you asked for and the other, you didn't. First is the reason sound waves become spherical at a distance. All sound waves in free space tend to radiate this way, even if they start off as a plane wave (like from ...
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 05 October 2011 17:35 «» By: Wayne Parham
The illustrations show radiation from a monopole source with boundary distances relative to wavelength. You're right that different frequencies create different patterns in the room, because the speaker is a fixed distance from the boundaries. But thes...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sun, 02 October 2011 00:35 «» By: Wayne Parham
Speaker placement and wavefront launch
The ideal: The constant directivity cornerhorn. In this configuration, the sound source is within 1/4λ from the apex of the corner. This makes the walls act essentially as a large waveguide, confining radiation to the angle of the walls. There is no ...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 21 September 2011 20:01 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: subwoofer use for old cabinets
I thought about those Marchand crossovers, and may still give them a try. They certainly have a good reputation. The thing is, I prefer a gentle 12dB/octave slope for multisubs, especially the flanking subs. That's what attracted me to that Pyle cross...
9 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 21 September 2011 15:49 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: subwoofer use for old cabinets
Don't high-pass the mains, let them run wide open. Low-pass the subs depending on their distance from the mains. If you only have a couple subs, make them flanking subs and low-pass them around 90Hz. Put the mains on stands, and put the subs on the floor...
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 14 September 2011 22:10 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 1pi or 2pi for surrounds?
Above 200Hz, your chart is pretty close to what I measure from the little one π speakers. They're flat up top, with gradually reduced bass below a couple hundred Hertz. By 65Hz or so, they're really pretty much done, although in your case, a room mode ...
Pages (17): [ «    2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17    »]

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 09:46:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio