Show: Today's Messages :: Unanswered :: Navigator :: Polls
169 Search Results Found
1 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Sat, 31 December 2011 10:19 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: how'd we get here (or where is this)?
Altec made excellent speakers in that era. Not too bad by today's standards either. But they definitely don't compare with a properly designed modern matched-directivity two-way (waveguide) loudspeaker, even though they look similar. The following d...
2 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Mon, 26 December 2011 13:50 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: JBL 2226H question: is this right?
That's good. Run a couple subs flanking, and my experience is they are generally best run out of phase with the fours. Just the opposite for threes, but that's a different story. Then run the other subs further away, nearer the opposite wall. Room mo...
3 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Thu, 01 December 2011 11:16 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Subs as 3pi stands?
You can use the subs as stands, which effectively makes them the same as a three-way loudspeaker. But I wouldn't do that, for precisely the point you alluded to: Flanking subs. For them to work best, they must be a few feet away, in between the mains ...
4 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 29 November 2011 17:48 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 3pi with Sonido SCW-300
The forward lobe will be right as long as driver spacing and crossover phase are right. That part is really a function of the crossover and of the midwoofer and horn position on the baffle. The stock box will work with your woofer, but as you've seen...
5 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 16 November 2011 14:06 «» By: porfido
Re: Pi-3 in little room?
Thank you, Wayne! Really interesting topics! Could you please send me plans for Pi-3 and Pi-4? Thank you very much!
6 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 16 November 2011 13:17 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Pi-3 in little room?
Yes, the four π model will work just fine as well. But do not dismiss your subs so quickly. I recommend them for all models of loudspeakers. They're not just there for added bass extension, but also for modal smoothing. This is even more important ...
7 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Wed, 09 November 2011 12:44 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 6 Pi
That will work. Obviously, we'd prefer a symmetrical pair of corners, but that's enough wall space to form waveguides for the range that matters - the range above the Schroeder frequency. Below that, room modes set the pattern anyway. Put subs in oppo...
8 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 01 November 2011 17:48 «» By: Wayne Parham
Notes for the DIYer
Several new loudspeaker projects have been started that are similar to my three π and four π loudspeakers. So I'm getting lots of PMs and posts asking what I'd do about this and what I think about that. Most seem to be concerned with the crossover, thi...
9 Forum: Speaker «» Posted on: Fri, 28 October 2011 20:55 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: 3D Sound
Oh, yes, I know. It's described in the Carver patent. I have the same settings in my processor, and I've tried the setup. So I know what you are experiencing - a sort of headphone-like imaging from loudspeakers. It's very good, but the benefits are...
10 Forum: Pi Speakers «» Posted on: Tue, 25 October 2011 16:33 «» By: Wayne Parham
Re: Helper Woofer Location
I like the flanking sub approach because it is so flexible. If you wanted to use your speakers outdoors or in a very large space, where you want sound sources to be within 1/4λ through their passbands, you can always sit the mains on top of the subs for...
Pages (17): [ «    2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17    »]

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 01:29:14 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio